This is a battery monitoring app for laptops. I wrote this app in 2015 when I bought a Dell laptop. I was getting battery life that was inconsistent and needed something to monitor the battery. I later switched to a desktop as my primary system and stopped using this app. I had to replace the battery recently after it started bulging and pushing out the touchpad. This seems to be a common problem on laptops that are kept connected to the wall charger for most of the day.
This version adds supports for light and dark system theme, and shows more statistics.
More stats and support for dark themes
The UI now supports both light and dark system themes, and shows more stats in status bar.
A new battery will start with health at 100%. It will slowly decrease to about 80% after 2-3 years of use. It depends on how heavily the battery was used, amongst other factors.
Rated Capacity and Actual capacity show how much charge your battery is capable of holding. Actual Capacity will decrease after few years when the battery starts to wear out.
Average Life is the number of hours your battery can be expected to last on a full charge. This depends on your usage pattern. If you use your laptop primarily for gaming this can be as low as 2 hours. If you use it primarily for web browsing it can be as much as 10 hrs (depending on your battery capacity and laptop model).
Rate per hour show the current discharge rate. A 10% discharge rate indicates a battery life of 10 hours, 20% indicates 5 hours, and so on. The rate will change depending on what you are currently doing on your laptop.
Average Charge Time is the time required to fully charge the battery when starting from empty.
This app is available as a free download. Run the following command in a command window to install the app.
wget -O- https://teejeetech.com/install/battery-monitor | bash
Supported Linux Distributions
- This app is meant for use on Linux distributions based on Debian and Ubuntu
- Debian 9 (Stretch), Debian 10 (Buster), and later releases are supported.
- Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04, and later releases are supported. This includes derivative distributions like Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Elementary OS, Pop OS, etc. Older releases of Ubuntu and their derivatives are not supported.
- Linux Mint 19, 20, and later are supported. Mint 18 and older releases are not supported.
- RedHat/CentOS/Fedora and ArchLinux/Manjaro are NOT supported.
If you find this app useful and wish to say thanks, you can buy me a coffee by making a donation with Paypal.